REFLECTOR: Air Filters on IO-550N

Bob Jackson bobj at computer.org
Tue May 17 10:21:51 CDT 2011

The first two pictures that I just posted on the 'Continental Info' thread
show the air filters for our IO-550N.  In the second picture, notice the two
3" diameter scat hoses sticking straight up with nothing in them - those are
the inlet and outlet hoses for the air filter on the pilot side.  The air
filter is removed in this photo, but it's a just custom fabbed fiberglass
case that we made to enclose a standard K&N filter with aluminum nipples on
the bottom to mate up with the scat tubing.

The first photo from the earlier post show the air filter (gray, roughly
rounded cylindrical casing close to the outer edge of the firewall) on the
copilot side. We have two air filters, one feeding each turbocharger
compressor inlet on each side of the aircraft.  Incoming air is diverted
from the scoops under each wing root that also feed the turbo intercoolers
on each side of the plane.

Bob Jackson

N2XF

  _____