REFLECTOR: Continental info

Craig and Denise Woolston cdwoolston at sbcglobal.net
Tue May 17 07:14:41 CDT 2011

Don-

  We built our plane before pictures were all electronic but I can scan some
in a couple days if you more details.  We are running -N, going on 625 hours
on XL-5FG.  We do not have any cooling air going to the engine mounted
cooler, but we are plumbed to a forward nose mounted cooler.  We too try to
keep our CHTs below 380.  We will occasionally see 400s on a cylinder or two
after climbout on a hot day after a quick turn fuel stop.  Typical flight
shows CHTs from 300 to 360 with 2 typically our hottest.  We typically see
180deg on the oil in the winter and 190-200 in the summer.  We run LOP
exclusively, typically see 12.5 GPH at 9,500 feet and if you believe the
electronics engine analyzer around 75% power.  Besides saving gas we have
seen that ROP increases CHTs 30-60 and oil at least 20 degrees.  We are
based out of Lancaster in California.  Because of all the dirt and dust out
here we did spend the time to build an air intake with inline air filters,
that's probably the only unique thing about our install.

Craig

  _____