REFLECTOR: Charging failure

sbjknox sbjknox at earthlink.net
Tue May 3 10:02:01 CDT 2011

From: <aminetech at bluefrog.com>
Subject: Re: REFLECTOR: Charging failure

>I had a very similar experience several years ago (except no strange odor)
>...[snip] The mechanic kept searching and finally determined that my alt
>switch was bad.  I have a Cessna switch, the right side for main and the
>left for alt.  The mechanic by-passed the switch so I could get home and
>replace it.
>
> John

Same thing happened to me with the Cessna dual Rocker switch.  A tech at B&C
led me to this... he said that over the years he has seen many such.  He
suggested one way to confirm is to alternately switch on-off-on-off.. ect.,
(the Alternator side, not the Master sie) a bunch of times while engine
running and if it is the switch going bad it will likely show intermittent
on the ammeter (or voltmeter).  I removed mine, took it apart, cleaned the
contacts, put it together and it has been fine of several years.  Also, when
reinstalling, make sure that the connectors go on tight.

Sid Knox
Oklahoma

Velocity  173 RG  N199RS
Starduster  N666SK