REFLECTOR: 300 HP in a Standard

Scott Derrick scott at tnstaafl.net
Wed Mar 30 09:50:36 CDT 2011

I'm not sure how much more speed an IO390 would give you over an IO360?
  A 10 HP increase?

I installed an IO520 into my STD RG and am just finishing the testing
phase. I have about 25 hours of flight time on it now.

I've had problems getting the Catto prop to do what he thought it would.
I'm still not really happy with the current prop.  I went through 3 mods
of the 1st one and 3 mods of the 2nd and current one.

I use less take off runway than before(io360), but not that much less, I
have a definite higher cruise speed but could cruise faster if I had
more pitch, which would increase my runway use for take off.  I haven't
been able to find a satisfactory sweet spot that uses noticeably less
runway and cruises noticeably faster.

A CS prop would probably be able to utilize the increased HP and provide
much better performance on both ends.

Right now it appears on the rich side of peak I can cruise at about 185
ktas burning about 12.5 gph. Thats turning the engine at about 2600 RPM.
Those are initial figures, and I haven't done any long distance flying
to verify. I can do better than that speed wise but the fuel burn goes
up appreciably.  I've done a couple 75 LOP runs burning about 9-10 gph
at about 165 KTAS which is what my io360 did. I think my LOP speeds will
increase when I get a couple outlyer cylinders tuned in. At 50 LOP I
have one cylinder running at 125-150 LOP which is probably just about
ready to quit, which means I'm only running on 5 cylinders at that point.

Now that my cooling issues appear to be behind me I can do some extended
range testing to verify the ROP and LOP performance with my current prop.

Scott