REFLECTOR: tube flare question

Ron Stacey rlstacey at earthlink.net
Mon Mar 14 13:46:34 CDT 2011

Matt, You should be using a 37 degree aviation flaring tool; automotive is
45 degrees and won't work. This is the one I use
http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/topages/flaring
<http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/topages/flaringtools2.php> tools2.php
- from Spruce. If the flare mates cleanly to the fitting you probably have
the right tool. I can't really tell what the marks are you refer to but if
the flare is cracking around the lip, try allowing more of the tube to
extend beyond the die before flaring. Also, I lubricate both the tube and
the tool with some WD40 before flaring. Hope this helps. Ron Stacey