REFLECTOR: fuel unbalanced

vance atkinson nostromo56 at tx.rr.com
Sun Mar 13 12:10:47 CDT 2011

I developed the sump system for the Cozys of which I have.  My original
system was std LEZ (one left and one right tank...selector to choose
which one)  When I retrofitted the sump tank, it had no vents to it.
Just the L/R main tanks with their respective separate vents and each
tank fed the sump.

I discovered  that you can have/uneven feeding to the sump due to the
alignment of the vents/ of each tank in respect to the relative
airstream.  The vent material tubing is versatube and easily bent.  Just
one degree on the angle of the tube can make a difference when one tank
stops feeding the sump and the other one takes over.

If your vent tubes are close together and look like identical angles,
there may be a slipstream protuberance  further upstream.  I have one on
each side of the plane under each fuel strake.

Something to check (along with all the rest) if you have an uneven
feeding event.

I am also a glider instructor and the yaw string is the only cheap way
of determining if your plane flies crooked !  Try it, its simple and
easy, just make sure you have a center line  marked on your fuselage and
a spot on the canopy marked.... (tape works great)

Vance Atkinson
EAA Tech and Flt Advisor
COZY N43CZ
VEZ N3LV