REFLECTOR: Holes in the Spar

Jack Prock jackprock at wavecable.com
Thu Mar 10 11:39:06 CST 2011

Hi,

With the pictures of the ELT installation going around, some of the pictures
show stuff attached to the inside of the main spar. Are you using screws
or bolts that go into or through the spar? I thought that was a no-no.

With that in mind, I am starting on the engine installation and want to drill
holes through the firewall for attaching the oil cooler, etc. I am working around
the spar and XL sump tank, and there doesn't seem to be a lot of real estate to
attach things.

What is the concensus? is it ok to put a few holes in the spar?

Is it ok to put bolts in the firewall behind the sump tank? with bolt heads against
the sump tank? I would remove the sump tank drill the hole, put
the bolt in, then replace the sump tank. But this would place the
bolt head flush against the back of the sump, and I forsee long term
vibration rubbing a hole in the tank.

Am I being overly cautious?

Jack