REFLECTOR: Prop Bolt Nuts

Scott Derrick scott at tnstaafl.net
Thu Mar 10 08:29:55 CST 2011

Brian,

	Changing to a different than specified prop bolt or nut raises the hair
on the back of my head! :-)

	That said, the nyloc type nut doesn't wear out the bolt when used
repeatedly, the nylon wears out.  Whereas an integral(all metal) lock
nut wears out the bolt threads( a little bit) with each re-tightning.  I
don't know if that would be a consideration.

	A hanger mate of mine has an IVO type(can't remember the manf) prop on
his newly finished homebuilt and he changed from nyloc style nuts to
integral lock nuts.

	The lock nuts on my Sager prop extension, to bolt it to the crankshaft,
are integral nuts and they were supplied by Sager.  But they don't get
R&R'd very often.

Scott