REFLECTOR: N19VA

Brian Michalk michalk at awpi.com
Mon Mar 7 10:07:31 CST 2011

I did fast taxi tests as well.

I read somewhere about this procedure as it relates to Velocities, and
it will not accidentally get you in the air.

Pick a speed somewhere below stall, say 45kts.  Hit your speed, cut
power, and pull back on the stick.
Repeat, each time increasing speed by 5kts.

I was told that once the nose lifts, you can test the controls, since
the mains get pretty light.  Bad problems should be found here

The trick is to cut power before you try rotating the nose.  That extra
added energy to react to unexpected flight would be difficult to manage
to try to get back down.  Plus the energy added to overcome the
thrust/CG vector(see below).

I did about five high speed taxi tests with the nose in the air.  My EAA
advisor advised me to not do anymore high speed taxi tests because of
the risk.

If I did want to try the short hop, I would keep iterating the same
test, noting at which speed the mains get airborne.  Again, the key is
to pull power before pulling the nose.

For me, it felt like the thrustline was above the CG, resulting in
engine thrust pushing the nose down.  Without the thrust, the nose came
up much easier.  On my first flight, the first time I kept power on, the
takeoff roll (while trying to pull the nose off) was much farther along
the runway than during testing.  I was surprised how long it took the
nose to get off the ground, and when it did, it really jumped off the
runway.