REFLECTOR: IFR training

Scott Baker scottb33333 at gmail.com
Thu Mar 3 13:03:00 CST 2011

While some instrument rating candidates elect to spend all of the 40-hours of actual or simulated instrument time with a CFI-I, this is not necessary.
A quick summary of the aeronautica experience needed to take the Instrument rating examination are:
*    50-hours PIC Cross Country time (not necessarily simulate instrument time, these hours can be VFR)
*    40-hours of actual or simulated (i.e. hood) instrument time
*    At least 15-hours of dual flight instruction from a CFI-I
*    At least 3-hours of which are spent with your CFI-I in test preparation within 60-days of taking the examination
*    IFR cross country flight (actual, with a CFI-I on board - or - simulated (hood) with a safety pilot) - see FAR61.65(d)(2)(iii) for details

You must have a combination of instrument flight instruction and simulated (hood) time with a safety pilot that totals a minimum of 40-hours.  The dual instrument instruction that you received from your CFI while earning your Student and Private ratings count towards this total.  If your CFI was also a CFI-I, then the dual instruction from 'back then' would also count towards the 15-hours (minumum) of dual instruction from a CFI-I.  The balance of the 40-hours can be under simulated (hood) flight with a safety pilot.  The safety pilot does not need to be a CFI or a CFI-I.  The only way you can legally operate and log 'actual' dual instrument flight time is with a CFI in a command seat.  You could not, for instance, log 'actual' instrument time with an IFR rated safety pilot - if you encounter IMC during simulated (hood) flight with an IFR rated safety pilot, the safety pilot legally becomes the PIC.

And, as Andy mentioned, you may apply up to 20-hours of the needed 40-hours of simulated instrument time in an approved flight training device with a CFI-I.  Time 'flying' an approved flight training device without a CFI cannot be logged.

In my opinion the best approach is to team up with a good CFI-I.  Map out a plan to spend between 5 to 10-hours in an approved flight training device with your CFI-I.  The flight training device is a gread medium to learn approach and holding procedures.
Then spend another 10-hours with your CFI in the aircraft.  Ask your CFI what he/she feels about dual instruction in IMC.  I highly recommend it!  Also, during that time, do some night hood time with your CFI - or maybe do the 250-mile cross country at night with your CFI-I.  This is a great experience.  By this time you should have around 25-hours of dual instrument time with a CFI-I.  At this point I would team up with an IFR rated safety pilot - and go fly about 10-hours practicing under the hood what you have learned.  When you feel that things have 'come together' - schedule 5-hours or more with your CFI-I in preparation for the Instrument Practical Test.

Remember that 40-hours is the minimum required by the FAA.  Many pilots require more time time to master what needs to be learned.  Learning and getting ready for the IFR check ride is demanding.  You will do better, and take less time if you can clear your schedule of work - and fly 2 or 3 times each week.

Instrument flight and instrument flight training is about learning to "walk, talk, and chew gum at the same time".  You will be amazed at the number of times you will ask your CFI-I, "What'd he say?" when ATC issues you instructions.  It's about learning procedures, staying ahead of the aircraft, situational awareness, and making good decisions.

Scott B
CFI-I