REFLECTOR: IFR training

Andrew Judge ajudge at grovenetworks.com
Thu Mar 3 11:47:04 CST 2011

You'll need 40+ hours with the CFII. 20 of which can be in approved simulator with the CFII. That's as far as I know or at least was shown to me as a IFR student just one / two years ago. John can probably answer that much better.

I did 2 hours in a simulator and hated it. I think it was much better in a plane anyway. I didn't use my velocity because we thought it might be hard to get a check ride in it. It might be feasible to do 20 hours in a velocity and then 20 in a 172 or something to prepare for the check ride. I had 18 hours from 12 years ago and spent 22 hours in a 172 preparing.

Andy