REFLECTOR: IFR training

Lou Stedman stedmanlou at roadrunner.com
Thu Mar 3 11:14:40 CST 2011

I am considering taking training to get my IFR certificate. I am confused as to what the requirements of a CFI or CFII are. Part 61.65 says that 40 hours of actual or simulated IFR training is required before I can take the check ride. Then it says that 15 hrs with a CFII are required, 3 of which have to be within 60 days of the check ride. It also states that a 250 mile cross country is required.

What I am confused about is how much of the 40 hrs has to be with a CFII? Is it only 15 hrs and the rest is just with a check pilot? As usual the FAR is confusing. Any help would be appreciated.
Lou Stedman
Velocity SEFG
N7044Q
Olean, NY