REFLECTOR: Hot oil

Scott Derrick scott at tnstaafl.net
Tue Jun 28 17:48:54 CDT 2011

I took off from Henderson(Las Vegas) this morning it was 95 degrees. By
the time I rotated what with taxiing and waiting in line, the engine was
pretty much hot.

I climbed from 2500 ft to 5,000(clear of the surrounding dirt) and my
oil temp was 230-240.  My Dynon has an irratting oil temp display that
rapidly changes temps all the time. A smoothing function is needed o
that sensor.

Anyway I leveled off and pulled the power back to cool things off. The
one thing I noticed immediately was the EGT's  were pretty high, high
1400's.  I would have expected 1200-1300's at full rich. This was the
first time I've had this new engine at such a low altitude and I think I
have the (idle) mixture or high pump pressure set to lean.

I eventually gave up on it cooling down, climbed to 8500 and the temps
started to drop, both egt's and oil temps.

What temps do other big engines +500CI see on hot day climb outs..

Scott