REFLECTOR: Windshield defog

Don Johnston don at numa.aero
Sat Jun 25 12:59:56 CDT 2011

Andy,

An unsolicited opinion here...  :-)

Relying on defrost (isn't it really "defog"? :-)  ) to deice or prevent
outside ice on the windshield is not practical. My Cessna has a real good
defroster. Lots of nice hot air coming out of it. And in the few times that
I've found myself (inadvertently) in icing conditions, it had ZERO impact on
ice forming on the windshield. Now maybe if the OAT is just barely below
freezing it would be enough.

But I have also thought about adding a defrost vent but in the end, I
decided that the additional plumbing and cabling wasn't worth the effort.
Presently, I planning on a vent to let the heat from the radio stack keep
the inside of the windshield clear.

Just my .02

-Don