REFLECTOR: Leading Edge Prop Damage Advice

Bob Jackson (Jax Tech) bobj at jaxtechllc.com
Mon Jun 20 10:02:04 CDT 2011

Thanks, Sid -- I remember and highly respect your suggestions from the last
time, and you obviously successfully made some big repairs to your prop.

I'm only asking again because our latest damage is to the leading edge
sheath itself, it's ~8" in from the prop tip (where there would be a lot
more load and stress than on the prop tip, as in your case), and the damage
caused the sheath to delaminate somewhat from the wood where the sheathing
ends (about an inch back from the leading edge).

We're not sure how much the steel sheathing provides structural/longitudinal
strength to the blade compared to how much it is there primarily just as
protection of the leading edge (for an 'erosion sheath' as they call it on
their website).

We just want to make sure that if we repair it ourselves we won't be
seriously risking the loss of the last 8" of that blade due to the load and
how we've weakened the sheathing in that area.

Thanks for the help!
Bob