REFLECTOR: Reflector Digest, Vol 75, Issue 76, Leading Edge Damage

Fred Anderka fred at holohil.com
Mon Jun 20 08:46:35 CDT 2011

Bob:

Have various dents on my MT prop due to stones and cowl screws (they are now Lock Tighted).  Repairs were accomplished with J B Weld epoxy to fill the divots.  The leading edge stone divot which deformed the leading edge but did not separate from the blade was built up with J B and sanded to original profile.  Over 300 hours later all the repairs are still intact with no sign of separation, etc.

My only concern is the pitting on the trailing face of all the blades, the forward face of the blades do not show any pitting or abrasion.  There are over 450 hours on the prop now.  I only operate off of paved strips, unfortunately I cannot vouch for the cleanliness of the runways and suspect there is a certain amount of sand etc. on all but the large airport runways with commercial traffic.

Anyone have similar pitting?  Any thoughts?

Fred Anderka
XL-RG, C-GHOL

Today's Topics:

   1. Re:  Leading Edge Prop Damage Advice (Douglas Holub)

That looks similar to damage one of my valve cover screws did to the edge of my Prince fixed pitch P-tip prop (maple core with carbon fiber overlaid.)  The damage was about that size and took a little bite out of the maple, too. We were traveling at the time in Amarillo, Texas. I emailed pictures of the damage to Lonnie Prince and he told me how to fix it: clean up the wound with sand paper, fill in with JB Weld, then sand it smooth in the morning. Worked great. I'm not sure if the procedure would be the same with a metal prop.

I replaced all the star washers on my valve cover screws with split ring lock washers.

Doug Holub
2009 Velocity Standard FG