REFLECTOR: IVO Repair?

John Dibble aminetech at bluefrog.com
Thu Jun 16 19:33:29 CDT 2011

I've put over 100 hours on the IVO hub that Travis generously gave me.
Lately it's been sluggish.  During a 5 hour trip 3 weeks ago I couldn't
get the rpm below 2600 and that was at a bit less than full power.
After sitting for 3 weeks, I made a short flight and it would not adjust
from fine pitch.  My ammeter showed no current going to the motor.  The
slip rings measured "open circuit", suggesting the motor was bad, so I
removed it.  Out of curiousity, I connected a battery charger to the
motor leads and was surprised when it ran fine.  So I re-installed it
and it worked fine for 5 seconds and then quit, again showing open
circuit.  I called IVO and they said the motor brushes might be worn, or
the springs weak and told me to send it in.  I decided to investigate a
little and removed the back cover and first sleeve, exposing the motor.
The brushes looked good and the springs seemed strong, but I have no
idea how strong they need to be.  The stationary end of one spring was
bent a little, so I straightened it.  Also the springs wrap around the
braded wire going to the brushes and I adjusted the wire a bit to be
sure it wouldn't interfere with the springs keeping the brushes in
place.  I put the cover back on and was ready to package it and send to
IVO, because it didn't seem like I did anything to fix it.  But I
decided to first re-install and see if there was any difference.  BIG
DIFFERENCE.  I went flying and the pitch adjusted quickly.  The rpm
easily dropped to 2400 at full power.  This is much better that it's run
in a long time.  Now if I can just figure out what I did....
The motor is made by Yokomo, a Japanese company.  I checked their
website and found a few motors for model cars.  I have no idea if this
is the same motor.  My motor had no other identification other than some
Japanese.  Anyone know about these motors?

John