REFLECTOR: Fuel Sight Gauges

Dennis Martin dennis.doc at gmail.com
Tue Jun 7 22:26:39 CDT 2011

I followed Jim Agnew's idea with LED lights behind the fuel gauge. (See
attached photo). Makes it very easy to see fuel levels. Here are a few
details about my install:

1. Install power line for the LEDs. I'll try to find the web site where I
bought them if you're interested.
2. Remove the plastic tube before upholstery. It's rather easy to make a
small slit in your carpet/leather for the two brass fixtures to pop through.
Plug the brass fixtures to make sure no trash gets in.
3. My factory supplied tube turned yellow. I found a 5 foot length of
fuel-proof plastic tubing at Home Depot (Plumbing Section). It's labeled
FUEL PROOF or gasoline proof. I had enough material to cut the piece to size
several times to get a perfect fit and to stretch the tube to make it remain
straight.
4. I bought two small fuel-proof floating balls that go inside my sight
gauges. Very easy to see fuel level with these floats. See pg. 8 on this web
site for photo of the orange balls:
http://online.simmarket.com/aerosoft/SCUB/manual.pdf
5. I ordered the orange sight balls a few years ago - I'm sure you can find
out how to get them from this web site. Caution: balls are too small for the
orifice in my brass tube - they will float away. I drilled a small hole in
an aluminum slug before wedging it into the brass fixture. Works great.

Good luck,

Dennis