REFLECTOR: Brazil wings - 10 years later

Scott Baker scottb33333 at gmail.com
Mon Jun 6 13:00:19 CDT 2011

Hello Reiff,
You are correct that the first set of "Brazilian wings" had problems with winglet and rudder flutter.  Brendan O'Riordan (CFI and first flight pilot for "Bob-1", a XL-FG model with the first set of Brazilian made wings) experienced winglet flutter that resulted in a forced/off-airport landing.  Brendan, than the Lord, was okay and suffered only bruises as a result of the crash.  Following this several aeronautical engineers looked at the Brazilian wing design.  The fix-it was a newly designed winglet and rudder.  Important note: ALLl Velocity customers with the "Brazilian wings" have the new winglets and rudders.  The new winglets and rudders have proven to be structurally and aerodynamically fine.  No problems or issues whatsoever.  I guess that 16 or so "Brazilian wings' are flying today.  If memory serves, 20-Velocity customers have "Brazilian wings".  The Velocity factory has one set in stock that is reserved for the development of a twin-Velocity.
Scott B.