REFLECTOR: SERG Fuel Lines

Glenn Babcock glennbabcock at roadrunner.com
Sat Jun 4 08:41:06 CDT 2011

Al,

I agree, my setup is similar. I have a Vision Microsystems engine monitor and find the fuel totalizer to be very accurate. Mine is set to go off at 10 gallons remaining, giving me about an hour at cruise power. It has an audio alert and an external annunciator light, you can't miss it.

I also have sight gauges on the mains and the sump float switch. Sight gauges are simple and reliable.

The sump switch is the final warning, and I did have a trip where I pushed a bit too far and on the decent got the sump warning. Since I did have fuel in the tanks I realized that it was not getting to the pickups and simply reduced power and leveled off for a few seconds to get the fuel to move aft. The sump light went out and I continued. I did that a couple of times coming down from 10,000 ft and I was fine. When I refueled I found I had 5 gallons total remaining (I said I pushed it!).

This was a direct flight from 14A (near Charlotte NC) to OKC, nearly 6 hours. The headwinds had been a bit stronger than forecast, but it was VMC and I had many alternates to choose from, so I pushed on. Not a good decision, but it does make the points that the fuel is usable (even with the standard fuel line setup), and that a good monitor/guage system will keep you aware of your fuel status and give you time to take action.

To avoid fuel issues, I now do the following:
- Always enter fuel added into the Vision Micro and confirm the total displayed with the sight guages.
- Lubricate the O-rings on the fuel caps with FuelLube on a regular basis. Uneven flow (discussed many times on the Reflector) can cause problems, this simple fix has always worked for me.
- During the flight, monitor the totalizer and the sight gauges.

Regards,

Glenn
N697RG Elite RG, flying