REFLECTOR: Low fuel warning, (was) SERG Fuel Lines

sbjknox sbjknox at earthlink.net
Sat Jun 4 05:44:31 CDT 2011

----- Original Message -----
From: "Al Gietzen" <ALVentures at cox.net>

> My sump (SE RG) measured at 2.3 ga.  Yes; the fuel warning there is pretty
> much a 'too late!' light; so you need something else.  I have a
> capacitance
> probe on one side that reads out on the EM, and had the sight-gauge (no
> longer works) on the other.  I like to measure the fuel in the tanks with
> the old-fashioned calibrated stick; then set the totalizer and have it
> keep
> track of usage.  The readout will begin blinking when it gets to less than
> 6
> gallons (not counting sump) remaining. If I slow to 150 KTAS, that gives
> me
> an hour total.
> Al

My two sight gages are marked with gallons and are very accurate but are a
pain to see in flight.  My totalizer is a great, very accurate real-time
indicator but is worthless in the (rare) event of fuel loss due to leak from
filler caps or other.  My capacitance fuel gage is not as accurate as the
sight gages but provides me a "sanity check" on the totalizer. However, the
capacitance gage goes TU if I get a crappy batch of gas with water and/or
(?) ethanol.

A passenger in the back seat can give me periodic sight-gage readings if
required.

Sid