REFLECTOR: CDI

Peter Braswell peter.braswell at gmail.com
Fri Jun 3 12:35:45 CDT 2011

Hi Don,
Maybe my experience will be helpful, not sure.  Anyway, when I had the
inspection done for my Glastar, I asked my DAR about this.  His position was
very liberal.  Basically he said it was up to me to interpret the regs,
install the proper equipment, get the standard IFR calibrations done and it
was me (as manufacturer) to evaluate the suitability of the equipment for
IFR flight.  At the time I had a BMA E1 which was capable of CDI/Glideslope
display and as such, no CDI head required.

Not sure what your relationship is with your DAR or what your Phase I and II
says, but I would suspect that if YOU'RE comfortable with no CDI, you're
good-to-go.

Just my opinion though ;)

-Peter

Check out: