REFLECTOR: SkyTec Starter

Stockman, Bill bill.stockman at daytonaero.com
Thu Jul 14 11:16:38 CDT 2011

After changing the oil the day before and running the engine,  I went to start up the Velocity (IO-360CIC) for the first cold start of the day.     It made a rather odd, grinding like noise.    I stopped immediately.   Checked out the engine and could find nothing wrong (yes, I filled it up with oil).
I tried again with the mags off, since I didn't want the engine to grind itself to death at 1200 rpm if it started.     After one more attempt, the noise stopped.    I turned on the mags, and it started up no problem.   I did five more starts., no problem.    I flew it around the pattern and did four more restarts no problem.

I came out this morning and hit the start button, same noise.   My hangar neighbor, heard the noise and told me exactly what was wrong (John Dyke of Dyke Delta fame).   My 10-yr old skytec starter had two small cracks in the housing that were not visible unless you took a really close look with the cowl off.    With the engine relatively cold, it puts more torque on the starter body, cracked the case after ten years or so, which misaligns the internal gears--and thus the noise.      My starter is on the way to skytec for a full overhaul and  new housing (about $170 total).    Apparently older skytec starters had thinner cases to save weight and the newer ones have beefier cases which don't crack.

I must add, that the starter had worked perfectly prior to this and I'm still a big fan.

Bill
N12WS FGE