REFLECTOR: Control stick poll

Glenn Babcock glennbabcock at roadrunner.com
Wed Jul 13 23:49:52 CDT 2011

I would also add that the needs for HOTS (Hands On Throttle and Stick) change a lot depending on if you have autopilot, and if you fly IFR. In my case I have a 2-axis autopilot and frequently fly IFR with GPS Steering, so I'm on autopilot a lot. Its a huge help in IMC.  This means that I use the stick buttons/switches a lot less than I expected.

Generally I engage the autopilot early into the flight, and keep it on until I'm on final, especially in IMC single pilot.  When on AP my focus is off the stick. I'm usually working the GPS, Nav and Com, and only put my hand on the stick when I'm on final with a visual to the runway, except to adjust trim or hit the PTT.

I'm working up a secondary control panel that will be placed behind the stick on the keel with redundant controls like PTT and pitch trim.

Your mileage may vary. ;-)

Regards,

Glenn

N697RG