REFLECTOR: Leak testing

nmflyer1 at aol.com nmflyer1 at aol.com
Thu Jul 7 12:08:25 CDT 2011

Just how I did it.

Kurt

-----Original Message-----
From: Alex Balic <velocity_pilot at verizon.net>
To: 'Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list' <reflector at tvbf.org>
Sent: Thu, Jul 7, 2011 10:21 am
Subject: Re: REFLECTOR: Leak testing

I tried the bobble level myself, but had anissue that it was difficult to get the pressure built up in the tank that way,because of the volume of the tank vs the volume of the water tube, so I justwent with the high quality (helium quality) balloon method- first try, itleaked down in about an hour- found that leak in the fuselage joint, secondtry, it leaked down in about  24 hours- found that one where the tubingpenetrates the cabin wall, third time, it was sealed and held for 3 dayswithout any noticeable leak down.  One thing I did also, was to pull aslight vacuum on the tank when I was applying the thinned out jeffco to sealthe leaks- it really worked well, drawing the resin into the leaks- I just kepton them with a brush until the jeffco was too thick to flow.