REFLECTOR: Leak testing

jerry at jlbent.com jerry at jlbent.com
Thu Jul 7 09:49:15 CDT 2011

To the Collective:

I am ready to leak test my tanks and was wondering what pressure is
appropriate.  Obviously, too much is distructive, so I was wonder what
others have used.  I see that the total height of the fuel from the bottom
of the sump to the top of the strake is about 20 inches. Since the wt. of
fuel is about 3/4 of water, to just meet the static fuel pressure would
seem to be about 15".  I have a water column that I use to make the
pressure anything up to about 70 inches of water.  So how far above the
expected 20" of fuel should I test?

Thoughts?

Jerry Brainard
Jerry at JLBEnt.com