REFLECTOR: Fuel Leak part 2

Scott Derrick scott at tnstaafl.net
Mon Jan 31 16:06:18 CST 2011

Removed a large portion of the glued on interior fabric/boards that
covers the fuselage and inboard forward fuel bulkhead.  Just below the
fuel sensor fitting was an obvious leak.  It looks like the glue that
was used for the interior was actually providing a bit of seal. Once I
pulled the fabric off the leak increased and was reaching the floor
before evaporating.

There were no other signs of leakage but who knows?

Got the 52 gallons of fuel off loaded and put a halogen lamp in the
cabin and left the door open to dry things out and let the fumes out.

My plan is to remove the inner skin and foam starting with a 4 inch
square centered on the inner skin leak, blow air in, if I find a hole.
Fix that, else increase foam skin/foam removal area. Once "a" leak is
located fix it, do a pressure test, if it holds I'm good to go. If not,
I'll cross that bridge if I get there.

The weather is taking a decidedly turn for the worse the next few days.
Snowing today, temps dropping radically for the next three days,
forecast high on Wed is 9.  I may still get a lot done as almost all the
work is in the plane and I can easily heat that up!

Scott