REFLECTOR: Fuel Vent System

Bob Jackson (Jax Tech) bobj at jaxtechllc.com
Mon Jan 31 10:28:01 CST 2011

John,

Al's is a great point about how the height of the vent loop above the top of
the spar at the firewall is so important in preventing fuel venting during
high pitch angle climbs in high performance Velocity's.  I had forgotten
about how with fully topped-off fuel tanks, the vent line fuel will be all
the way up at the elevation of the fuel in the front of the strakes.

If I did my math right and the front of the strake fuel tank is about 8 ft
forward of the fuel vent line on the front of the firewall, with the ten
degrees pitch required for a 2000 fpm climbout (about 10 degrees total pitch
angle, when you add approx. 2 degrees AOA to the required 8 degree climb
angle for a 2000 fpm climb with a 140 kt forward speed), then the fuel level
at the manifold will be about 17 inches above the top of the spar on the
firewall!

Looking at Andy's great photo of his interior fuel plumbing layout, you can
see that 17 inches above the spar is going to put the static fuel level in a
10 degree climbout very nearly at the top of the fuselage, if not above!
That's why Al's accumulator (probably good enough to prevent at least
sloshing overflow) and the factory's forward vent loop extensions are
required for high performance climb angles.  (I'm repeating Andy's photo
below, since it shows the standard plumbing layout so well).

These high pitch angle climbs will create not just occasional venting, but a
steady state streaming of fuel out of the vent -- and onto the hot exhaust
pipes and spinning prop behind!  That doesn't sound like a good situation!

Also, even if you can't climb steady state at 2000 fpm, most Velocity's have
an initial climb angle of at least 5 degrees.  A nominal 5 degree climb
angle combined with the fuel sloshing of the take-off rotation, the dynamics
of raising of the gear, and just getting your attitude properly stabilized
in the climb (my 'attitude' is sometimes not properly stabilized, even on
the ground!) means that almost all of us are likely to be venting some fuel,
especially during take-offs and the initial climb.  The tanks don't
necessarily have to be full either, since the sloshing of fuel for partially
filled tanks can be as violent, and more dynamic, than with the full fuel
case.

These are new good things to be thinking about!

Thanks Al!

Bob

N2XF

PS  I'm glad you're going to post some more pictures of the 'overflow' lines
in your wheel wells and where they go, John -- I can't personally imagine
where they go and what they do, unless it's like Al says they're not open to
the outside and are instead just the normal strake tank vent or fuel drain
lines.

  _____