REFLECTOR: FW: Brian's Turbo

Bob Jackson bobj at computer.org
Wed Jan 12 19:41:46 CST 2011

Lots of good analysis and observations in your post, Chuck -- it least most
everything you say makes good sense to me!

When trying to size and finalize the turbonormalizer for our IO-550N (8.5:1
compression ratio) we tried to do some modeling along the lines of what you
describe.  Because we wanted to get back in total power what little we
thought we would be losing because of the more restricted exhaust flow and
higher exhaust back pressures, even for take-off at sea level we generally
use about 30.5" of MAP.  In our case, that requires our wastegate to be
about 40% closed for take-off, and a compressor outlet temperature already
more than ten degrees above ambient.

Once up to 15,000 ft with an OAT of ~6 deg F our model shows the compressor
outlet air temperature up to about 137 deg F, which we expect our
intercoolers to bring back down to about 51 deg F.  I believe our wastegate
gets to about 70% closed at 15,000 ft in order to maintain our WOT ~30.5"
MAP.  Closing the wastegate to about 90% still gives us 30.5" MAP at 25,000
ft.

Our modeled 137 deg F compressor outlet temperature at 15,000 ft and WOT
seems to be inline with your estimate of up to a 45 deg F temperature rise.
Unfortunately, we lost our extra A/D instrumentation channels for
intercooler input and output temperature, so we haven't yet been able to
verify the above modeled compressor outlet air temperature gains, or the
expected efficiency of the intercooler in lowering them back down.

I'm surprised by your being able to produce 45" MAPs, unless you're saying
that occurred with your wastegate partially, or fully closed.  I've never
seen over about 37" MAP, and that was when I forgot (missed it on the T/O
checklist!) and left the wastegate fully closed for take-off, rather than
setting it at our normal 40% closed position.  Also, CHTs in the high 400's
sounds very high to me, and almost a certain recipe for detonation -- did
you run your engine for very long in that condition, and when you were
there, did you notice any signs of detonation?  It sounds like you must have
something like an 360 cu. in. displacement engine, correct?  Why doesn't
your blow-off valve limit your MAP's to something closer to 35" if you're
only operating turbonormalized?

Concerning the electronic ignition, our Lightspeed, at least, never advanced
the timing above ~22 deg's at WOT, however we have seen it closer to 25
degrees, especially at high power LOP conditions.  I'm not sure how it knows
we're LOP (if it does), because it is only monitoring RPM and MAP.

Thanks for the good info -- we appreciate being able to compare notes on
these things...

Bob Jackson

N2XF

  _____