REFLECTOR: Brian's Turbo

Brian Michalk michalk at awpi.com
Sun Jan 9 23:22:08 CST 2011

There's lots of information to address your questions.  I'll start on
them, and send them out as I get time.

   1. Basic engine design you started from
         1. It's a stock Franklin.  6A-350-C1R, 10.5:1 compression.  I
            had the idea that someday 100LL would go away, so with the
            turbo in there, I could convert to low compression pistons
            and perhaps reprofile the cam to better suit turbo operation.
   2. Performance and functionality objectives for your improvements
         1. Turbo normalize only.  I'm not looking to exceed TBO horsepower.
   3. Single or dual turbo?  Piping layout for the turbo(s), wastegate
      and exhaust pipes
         1. Single turbo.  From memory, I believe it's a T06, Airresearch.
         2. Intake air
               1. armpit scoop from the pilot side
               2. Bosch 3" throttle body
               3. turbo situated slightly to the right side such that
                  axle is pointing right at the armpit scoop, and the
                  compressed air exits center of the firewall, pointing down
               4. Intercoolers.  Two RJR (I think) motorcycle
                  intercoolers welded to a center plenum that goes to
                  the turbo.  Air makes a right angle turn out each side
                  of the intercoolers towards the outside.
               5. intake manifolds that pick up from the intercoolers
                  near the firewall an go the all of the cylinders aft.
                  The intercoolers get a fairing so it's all smoothed
                  out.  Not shown in the pics below.