REFLECTOR: Gear collapse

Laurence Coen lwcoen at hotmail.com
Sun Jan 9 15:27:57 CST 2011

Mike,

Since there is no mechanical connection between the main gear and the nose gear I think that this is an electrical problem.  John had a similar thing happen during taxi when he ran through a puddle that threw muddy water up on his gear electrical components.  Did you land on a wet runway?  If not I would look for the possibility that something at the gear switch or at the solenoids shorted over.  The only explanation that makes sense for a full gear collapse is if the hydraulic pump ran at least momentarily in the gear up direction.

By the way, I and Scott are joined at the hip by having exactly the same experience with the nose gear.  I feel your pain.

Larry Coen
N136LC