REFLECTOR: Intercom noise

Brian Michalk michalk at awpi.com
Wed Jan 5 18:54:08 CST 2011

Does the noise stop when that mag lead is grounded?  What about when you
disconnect the mag wire altogether?  Try easy tests first, don't try to
fix anything yet.  Take your hypothesis and test it.

Is it shielded twisted pair, or coax?  Does the mag P-lead return back
to a ground at the mag(correct), or through some other ground path(wrong)?

What is the frequency?  Mags will hum at 1/2 the RPM.  an Alternator
will hum at 3X of the alternator RPM, which is several multiples above
engine RPM.  Can you eliminate based on that frequency?  If it's the
alternator, disconnect battery and field (or belt) and test again.  If
it is the alternator, do you have a ground strap from that case to your
starter ground cable ... or at least a very good confirmed electrical
connection?