REFLECTOR: Factory Elevator actuator re-installation

Scott Derrick scott at tnstaafl.net
Tue Feb 22 19:08:06 CST 2011

I am considering removing the Strong Pitch System I installed and
re-installing the factory elevator actuator.

Why?

1.)  I never really liked the look of the strong actuator.
2.) The mounting end cap that is held on with a hose type clamp would
flex apart form the body when maximum pull was exerted on it,
specifically with full down trim and pulling up on the stick. I put an
additional clamp on it which reduced the flexing considerably but it
still moves a bit.  It seems like it is a failure point talking to me.
3.) An AD(sic) was released a while back about this flexing.
4.) I thought I would get more trim range with the Strong system, I was
wrong, its so close I can't tell the difference.
5.) The change would improve my single front passenger CG, requiring
less dead weight weight(my flight bag and tool kit placed in the right
seat or floor).

I plan on using the Strong electronic control system which is far
superior to the plans one.  Solid state relays, built in brake and a
speed control.

I hooked up the factory actuator to the strong controller and all went
well until I extended the actuator to full length.  It would not
return.  If I screw it back in half a turn it works again.

I remember reading about the actuator developing a bad spot and that
there is a repair procedure.

Any suggestions on how I can repair the unit?

Scott

--
Talk sense to a fool and he calls you foolish.
Euripides