REFLECTOR: Delaminated Canard Top -- Safety of Flight Issues?

Scott Baker scottb33333 at gmail.com
Tue Feb 22 14:46:09 CST 2011

Bob,
Based on your description of the delamination areas, I suggest an interim fix until the new canard is built.  Drill two small holes through the outer skin of the affected areas and inject a micro-slurry of Epoxy to re-bond the skin to the foam.  It is my opinion that this will be enough of a fix to 'rest easy' regarding continued flight operations.  Wingco wings do have a propensity to delamination - and I would not be surprised to see additional blisters manifest themselves during high OAT and during flights at higher altitudes.  I frequently have seen blisters appear on canards that a) live in hot temperatures, b) are painted a dark color, and c) operate at flight level altitudes.  Interesting theory regarding gross operating weight.  The canard is designed to flex a great deal during turbulance (tips flexing +/- 6" is not unusual), so tension/compression on the lower/upper skins is considered 'normal' - and I imagine the flex of the canard wing is significantly greater during turbulance than as a result of lifting a heavier weight.  In your case, I believe the contributing factors are high altitude operations and the fact that these are Wingco wings.
Best,
Scott B.