REFLECTOR: Vesta Prop

dohayes at aol.com dohayes at aol.com
Wed Feb 16 16:11:32 CST 2011

I took delivery of a three blade, hydraulic, Vesta propeller shortly after
the incident in Texas, with instructions never to use it. Jason Day
reinforced that by failing to trim it to proper diameter before shipment,
refusing to provide a manual, and insisting that the way I had removed it
from the crate had completely destroyed it. Fortunately, Dave Dent, who was
at that time was both familiar and enthusiastic about the propeller, was
able to provide a manual and enough advice to allow me to mount it on my
engine. Some time later, Jason calmed down a little and helpfully offered
that I could trim the blades with a Dremmel, but since I knew there is a lot
more to it than that, I realized that talking to him was pointless.

I don't know if the failed propeller was electric or hydraulic like mine,
but I do know that without support from Jason, I don't have the expertise to
determine its airworthiness. I've been using it to test my engine, and might
use it for taxi testing if I have enough ground clearance, but will
eventually sell it to someone more knowledgeable, or who wants to use it for
the same purpose.

Doug Hayes
Velocity 173FG
Boulder, Colorado