REFLECTOR: Constant Speed (hydraulic) props

Brett Ferrell reflector at velocityxl.com
Tue Feb 8 19:11:35 CST 2011

Well, I want to thank everyone for their help and input into our prop
decision.  I am currently waiting on quotes from MT and Aero now and can
post them in case anyone is interested.  It seems like those with a similar
set-up to ours prefer the Aero and those with turbo’s do not.  My best
guess at this point is that we will be on the ground less due to prop fixes
with the Aero and that means a lot to us.  I have also heard that the
customer service is great.  Therefore, I have created a weighted comparison
for your perusal below.

I would also like to add –

Thank you Larry for the kind words!

And Mulroony – I enjoyed flying Dave Bertram’s electric MT too but Brett
said that he doesn't like the fact that electric props don't feather if
there's a failure.... so he prefers hydraulic – thanks again (we miss you
guys!).

Lynn/Mark, thank you for taking the time to talk to me on the phone!

And all of you need to remember that Cincinnati is half-way to everywhere
and we would love a visit!

MT

Aero

Catto

price

1

0

3

performance

3

3

1

down-time

0

3

2

customer service

1

3

3

# flying

3

1

2

reliability

2

1

3

construction

1

3

2

overhaul cost

1

1

3

overhaul frequency

0

3

2

Total:

12

18

21

As you can see – Dr. Stockman is correct that the Catto comes out on top
.
But since we want a CS prop to get us off the runway faster on a hot day It
looks like the Aero wins
 any commentary (since numbers can be so easily
skewed) is welcome.

Regards,

Elizabeth Ferrell