REFLECTOR: Aileron Rigging

John Dibble aminetech at bluefrog.com
Fri Dec 30 09:37:07 CST 2011

After the discussion a few weeks back I decided to try a different
aileron position.  Mine are 1/4" up with 1/8" total play.  To have them
in line with the wing TE during straight and level flight, I would need
to have them 1/16" down.  I decided to try an intermediate position of
1/16" up.  Now I have to use more stick force to enter a roll.  It feels
like I'm flying a bus.  On the plus side, the roll is more stable
meaning when I let go while flying straight, it tracks better.  I like
this better for IFR flying.  I had 5 kn more airspeed on a recent flight
from MS to NY, but this may be due to the colder temperatures.  I plan
to keep it this way for a while and see if I can get used to the "bus"
feel.  One other thing, the A/P doesn't track as well.  Before it would
maintain the heading to within a degree or so.  Now it's more like 5-10
degrees.  I set my gps CDI scaling to the smallest (0.3 mi) range to see
if that helps when tracking the gps.  Of course that won't help when
flying the heading bug.
The builder modified the roll gain.  Here's the entries he made in the
logbook.

"Change A/P roll gain from 15k to 9.2k & test
Change A/P roll gain mechanically & test
A/P wing rock problem gone"

Does this mean the A/P was too responsive before?  If so, can I un-do
this modification to get more response with the A/P?

Wondering if I have universal joints......

John