REFLECTOR: Engine air intake

Kerry Woods kwoods241 at att.net
Fri Dec 30 06:24:11 CST 2011

Thank you Lynn, that looks good.
Kerry
  ----- Original Message -----
  From: Kathy Cook
  To: Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list
  Sent: Thursday, December 29, 2011 9:24 PM
  Subject: Re: REFLECTOR: Engine air intake

  Greetings!  Sorry about the delay.  As you can see, my inlet scoop is in the 'armpit', a high pressure area, if there is such a thing on an airplane.  The apparent trick is to turn ram air into positive pressure in the inlet prior to the fuel servo.  This a function of air speed and most importantly, having the right sized opening which then expands internally. As velocity drops due to the volume increase behind the inlet, the pressure goes up.  I have tried a couple of different sized openings for my IO360 and kept reducing the inlet size as smaller seemed to be better as the air speed went up.  The round scoop is without an air filter and nets about 7/8 " of positive pressure at a 180 ktas.  The rectangular one is about 2" by 4" feeding into a k & n filter and nets about 5/8" of boost at the same speed.  Under the belly was ruled out due to FOD from the nose wheel.  The whole assembly is independent from and cut from the bottom cowling.  Feel free to call me if you have questions @ 530-878-2002.   Lynn Cook  Auburn, CA