REFLECTOR: empty w&b elite FG 173/lw

Karl J. Warner karljwarnerpa at earthlink.net
Sun Dec 18 09:46:48 CST 2011

Chris/Kevin,

Don't fret to much... seams the factory does not meet their own numbers all the time.  My V was factory built:  It's a short wing SE/FG with 200 hp IO-360 & MT prop.  I don't have the book in front of me but I'm thinking 1450 empty since I have approx. 950 useful @ 2400 gross.  These are the original factory's numbers, I have not weighed since owning, but I'd venture to say even these numbers are likely light and may have been done prior to paint, wheel pants, interior, sound proofing (which I ripped out) etc..

Speed: I flight plan for 150kt LOP or 155 ROP.  I've asked the factory about winglet "toe in" as I wondered if that was one of the biggest speed factors.  Their response was that it is important but that there is no single smoking gun about why one airplane is so much faster or slower then another.

I've also flown factory built SUV/FG 101VA with io320:  I don't remember its empty weight but will comment that the real world specs/speed on these 2 factory built airplanes were, shall we say, disappointing.

To be fair, seems composites lend themselves to builder variances more then aluminum and rivets (and even more to the point, Scott's advise that each builder "add on" are the real culprit to weight).  However, there's a lot to love about our V's:  no airframe corrosion, looks great, strong, looks great, smooth, predictable slow speed "base to final" handling, easy to maintain, efficient, simple systems,... did I mention they look great!

Karl