REFLECTOR: ELT ground plane

David Ullman ullman at robustdecisions.com
Wed Dec 14 08:00:44 CST 2011

I have the same ACK ELT and had to do experiments to find a place that it
would work.  I first mounted it over the sump using a ground plane made of a
thin sheet of glass with an aluminum foil veneer.  This is a smaller ground
plane than is called for and didn't work because the antenna was too close
to the fuel vent pipes.  I then did a series of experiments and finally
mounted it in the pilot side strake interior pocket up against the fuel tank
wall with the ground plane at the rear and only about 6" x 10" and the
antenna itself mounted on the ground plane and aimed forward.  It tucks in
the upper outboard corner very nicely and I will put some upholstery around
it to make it visually disappear.    I can send pictures tomorrow, if anyone
wants them.  This passed all the self testing.

David Ullman
N-444DX Velocity
EAA 292 President
david at davidullman.com