REFLECTOR: Web Site

Peter Braswell peter.braswell at gmail.com
Mon Dec 12 08:03:43 CST 2011

Ron,
I think the choice would really be driven by what your goals are.  If you
simply want to document your project for yourself and your DAR I think the
already mentioned kit pro is an excellent choice.  If your goal is to
share, FB or a blog is probably a pretty good choice.  My recommendation
would be to stay away from MySpace.  It's fallen way out of favor and
unless you're 16 and also want to promote your Death Metal band I'd go with
one of your other choices.

FB is easy and straightforward.  Your content will be intermingled though
with your other personal social media stream which may or may not be a big
deal.  I've been posting progress reports on FB as a means to keep my
friends and family updated but I'm not considering those posts as a
comprehensive build log.  I had considered doing a Wordpress blog site.
 It's very easy.  My hosting is through Dreamhost but you can use GoDaddy
or any one of a zillion others to host.  Look for a provider that has an
easy means of installing Wordpress unless you know something about PHP,
UNIX, HTML, etc….  I don't want to scare you off, most installs are a
matter of clicking a button, logging in and picking a theme (skin).

Why have I not set up a site if it's so easy? :)  Simple.  I figure that
the time it would take to set up the site, upload pictures, do posts and
all that is better spent working on the airplane.  For that reason, I just
have a simple paper log that I bought from the Kitplanes online bookstore
and I take periodic pictures of the build with my iPhone.  My goal is to
simply have a record to show the DAR when it comes time for my inspection
and the log/photo documentation that was required for my Glastar inspection
was shockingly minimal.

Hope this helps and if you decide to go the Wordpress route, I'm happy to
help.  I've set up dozens …

Peter
*"It's a Jungle Up There": www.zuluworks.com*
*Great Aviation Gear: www.sky-gadgets.com*