REFLECTOR: Water Injection

Mark Magee edjonesbrady at gmail.com
Thu Dec 8 20:13:15 CST 2011

All,
I am pondering whether it is worth considering installing a computer
controlled water/ water/methanol injector on my IO540 angle valve purely
for CHT reduction. I have used them in the past in autos with good effect,
and studied their uses in other applications. The numbers these
http://www.alcoholinjectionsystems.com/Naturally-Aspirated-Kits/c25/index.htmlfolks
post are in line with what water injectors can achieve from my past
experience. Anyone used one on a Velocity/Canard/Flying aircraft?
>From my initial calculations less than 2 gallons of water would climb a WOT
300 HP Velocity from sea level to over 12,000 MSL and then wouldn't be
needed for descent in all liklihood. So a 6 gallon tank (in the keel?)
would easily handle a long cross country. In cold weather 50/50 water
methanol I would think preclude induction icing, but you could always just
turn it off it it was cold enough and you didn't need it.
Just a thought, I am experimental :)
They were OEM on turboed and supercharged aircraft in WWII. Thoughts?

Mark Magee
N34XL XL FG 300HP
Brady TX