REFLECTOR: Fuel System -- Return Fuel Flow

Brian Michalk michalk at awpi.com
Thu Dec 8 09:32:24 CST 2011

In my arrangement, I an using electronic fuel injection, with my fuel
rail running at 45PSI.  I have a Bosch electric pump delivering what I
think is .7 gpm (I need to verify this), and a mechanical positive
displacement pump delivering 1.7gpm.

My fuel pressure regulator returns the fuel to the sump tank, which is
also where the feed line is for the fuel pumps, so the fuel circuit is
sump->pumps->FPR->sump.  Since I'm fixed gear, my sump is a little less
than five gallons.

My question is, what are other people doing for their fuel return
configuration that are using actual regulators.  The vapor return system
on some of the aviation pumps returns very little fuel, I believe, so
it's not the same thing.

Is a five gallon sump big enough?  Will it fill up with foamy fuel
vapors?  This is avgas, not automotive fuel.