REFLECTOR: Steering with a Damper

sbjknox sbjknox at earthlink.net
Mon Aug 29 09:28:32 CDT 2011

----- Original Message -----
From: "Andy Millin" <amillin at sbcglobal.net>

Subject: Re: REFLECTOR: Damper

> So, yes, we will need to have some type of steering/tow bar.  This is the
> same arrangement that you have on just about all production aircraft.
>
> I would ask John to comment on what it was like to push the plane around
> with the damper on it.
>
> I know this solution is not for everyone.  I feel what I am gaining is
> worth
> more than what I am giving up.
>
> You may feel differently.
>
> Andy

I have a damper on my RG (my own, not the one under discussion).  While it
makes a wonderful difference in shimmy elimination and steering while
taxi-ing (how does one spell plural of 'taxi'??). steering it while pushing
it backwards is a little tricky because the caster angle that keeps it
straight while going forward wants to do just the opposite while going
backwards.  With a wheel that will turn 360 deg that's no problem as the
wheel simply turns 180 deg and the caster angle becomes proper for backwards
motion.  But with limits on the movement, the wheel still wants to swivel
but hits the stops.  So, when pushing it backwards, one must be constantly
fighting this tendency for the plane to go the wrong way.  I don't have a
tow-bar but I can see where that would alleviate the issue.

Sid Knox
Oklahoma

Velocity  173 RG  N199RS
Starduster  N666SK