REFLECTOR: Damper

Andy Millin amillin at sbcglobal.net
Mon Aug 29 08:34:31 CDT 2011

Not shown in the picture was the steering limiter.  If you look at the
Damper 3 picture, you'll see the studs sticking out of the top of the gear
fork.  They are AN-4 bolts that have the heads cut off.  There is a pawl
mounted on the king pin.  The pawl hits the stops before it hits the limits
on the damper.

So, yes, we will need to have some type of steering/tow bar.  This is the
same arrangement that you have on just about all production aircraft.

I would ask John to comment on what it was like to push the plane around
with the damper on it.

I know this solution is not for everyone.  I feel what I am gaining is worth
more than what I am giving up.

You may feel differently.

Andy