REFLECTOR: Franklin EGT

Grover McNair grover at mcnairperformance.com
Wed Aug 24 10:51:02 CDT 2011

The key is to find the peak EGT. Then lean or richen accordingly. Usually 50
to 100 degrees F either side of peak. The EGT will come down on either side
of peak. Fuel flow will go up Rich of Peak and down Lean of Peak. Monitoring
cylinder head temp is important as well. Max for the Franklin is 392F.
Running ROP will cool the cylinders while LOP tends to run hotter on the
CHT. Running at peak will produce the most heat (and the most power). It
also has the highest likelihood of causing detonation.

I have just installed a JPI 740 engine monitor in N832AB. It is getting a
conditional inspection and should be flying again soon.

Grover McNair

173FG

  _____