REFLECTOR: Hot Start IO-550N

William Walker blwalker105 at sbcglobal.net
Tue Aug 16 10:30:05 CDT 2011

Bob,

My engine is actually a Performance Engines IO-550 EXP, which is similar in architecture to a 550N. Same fuel system and induction setup, just balanced better with a proprietary camshaft, 10:1 pistons, and a 2800 RPM limit.

Yes, especially with the MT prop's lack of mass, one must retard the throttle quickly, but I have found that as the engine catches, it does not spin up like a cold, full-throttle start. Remember, it is getting a combination of fuel and fuel vapor so it's a comparatively leisurely spin-up. I have dual throttles with all of the attendant stiction from those two 13 ft cables, and I have not had any difficulty retarding the engine quickly enough.

Bill