REFLECTOR: Low Hydraulic Pressure or Pump Check Valve Leaking?

Burrall L Sanders craftsman at freeflightcomposites.com
Wed Aug 10 07:40:58 CDT 2011

I am new to this list so I hope my comments below do not hash over things already said on this forum.  If they do please use your delete keys.  I have owned and operated Freeflight Composites, LLC for ten years now helping folks build and maintain their canard aircraft, and have bee an approved Cozy service center and recently was approved as a Velocity service center as well.   I hope to be able to contribute once in a while, and I know I will be able to learn from folks on this list just about all the time.  I have been lurking for a few weeks and the knowledge and civility of the folks who  participate is impressive.  Thanks for letting me be a part of it

One thing to remember about a hydraulic cylinder is that the rod displaces oil thus there is more oil on the piston end of the cylinder than there is on the rod side.  So, a hydraulic cylinder will not retract due to an internal leak inside the cylinder  even if the pistons seals are bad.  There is not enough room for the extra oil on the piston side to transfer to the rod side because of the displacement of the rod itself. An external leak in say a fitting or valve in the pump control will allow the cylinder to retract.  With the gear up there will be less oil in the reservoir than when the gear is down. All that being said either the oil level was low to start with or there is an external leak, or there was air in the system that took a few cycles to work through.  The question John asked about whether the pump continued to run or just the light stayed on was a good one.  In flight you should be able to tell if the pump is cycling by watching. the ammeter, they usually  jump or flicker when the pump turns on. I believe that on a Velocity the cylinders must extend to let the gear go down so an internal leak in the cylinder or elsewhere could cause the pump to cycle too often or even run continously. It is likely normal for the pump to cycle every few minutes but much more often than that indicates a problem with either an external leak or an internal bypass that bleeds the pressure in the system off causing the pump to cycle on and off as the pressure switch tries to maintain system pressure.  Hope this helps at least a little.

Burrall Sanders
www.freeflightcomposites.com