REFLECTOR: Also a new Velocity Owner

nmflyer1 at aol.com nmflyer1 at aol.com
Thu Aug 4 14:40:18 CDT 2011

Ron,

Bering an FAA employee, I can answer the question... although it is not an acceptable reason.

Many local FSDO offices adopt their own general practices. Yes, FAA inspections of home builts is part of their job, but many put it at the bottom of the list. Could be staffing, workload, or even preference of priorities.

We had a local FSDO guy that was fantastic. He really liked going out and inspecting and issuing for us "experimentalists".... but he was a pilot & a builder.. Just what we would all want. When he left the office for a promotion, everything changed. Unfortunately for us all, a call to your local FSDO will let you know the frame of mind, delay time, and expectations of what you will have to deal with.

One other thing... If there is more than one FSDO that covers your area (some overlap boundries a bit) you can always make a call to another FSDO and ask them.  Sometimes you may get a different answer.

Kurt