REFLECTOR: FW: Blended Winglets and intersection fillets.

Alex Balic velocity_pilot at verizon.net
Wed Aug 3 09:58:36 CDT 2011

I have the 3" radius going everywhere around the fuselage too built them
exactly the same way as you described with the layer of fine bid on  top.
About the fillets- I had some of my old buddies at Texas A&M Flight Research
Laboratory help me on this- they actually have had a Velocity XLRG airframe
over there that they use for some drag testing/canard to wing airflow
studies, and they had the data- there were a couple of theses written on the
aircraft- not drag fillets specifically, so I had to sort of work through
it- as far as them needing to have high precision of form- that is not
really the case- since the reduction is  low compared to the overall drag of
the aircraft, but it would be measurable- i.e.- several knots- only time
will tell, I hope to be airborne before the end of the year. the AR5 "why is
goes so fast" tapes are still available- and I think that Mike has 4 DVD's
out now- he was able to go well over 200 mph on 65 hp, and made a big deal
about wing to fuselage and wing to wing intersections, so I figure he knows
how to reduce drag pretty well.. The blended winglet would be a best case
scenario, but I didn't want to re-engineer the wings structurally for a few
knots...

  _____